About the Position
We are seeking an experienced Senior Food Technologist with an in-depth knowledge of food science and technology as well as diverse experience in product development and commercialization. Candidate must have the ability to formulate and scale-up a wide variety of food and beverage products, possess strong project management skills, independently manage multiple projects, and work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Bring concepts to life through the creation of protocepts, develop new products across multiple product categories throughout all phases of development – from initial bench development to commercial launch.
- Formulate exceptional products within specific cost, nutritional and ingredient guidelines while considering critical technical issues such as food safety and stability, shelf life and scalability.
- Understand culinary principles and apply them to technical development.
- Anticipate and troubleshoot technical formulation and processing issues when commercializing products at client or contract manufacturing facilities.
- Provide product development support in client ideation sessions.
- Understand key differences between restaurant menu and CPG development.
- Create and execute experimental designs, conduct data analysis, and provide interpretation and technical recommendations.
- As needed, recommend use of outside labs drawing conclusions and analyzing data from microbiological, chemical and physical tests.
- Conduct basic analytical testing to support product development work.
- Source ingredients, generate formula costing, and use Genesis software to generate nutritional panels.
- Maintain accurate documentation for projects, formulations, and specifications.
- Write finished product specifications and project status reports.
- Write protocols and administer shelf life studies.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects with overlapping timelines.
- Work with cross-functional teams that include clients, client managers, food technologists and contract manufacturers.
- Guide interns and lab technicians to support product development work.
- Travel as required by client and project needs.
- Ability to lift 30 to 40 lbs.
Food as a Way of Life
We are looking for passionate foodies to join our employee-owned “family.” First and foremost, you must be driven by all things food, especially food innovation. A job at Mattson will immerse you in the world of food. You must be passionate about food and beverage in all shapes and forms. And, while you are willing to taste anything without judgment (or allergy concerns), you have your own passions and loves within the world of food. We want to hear about them. The more you can articulate your passion, the more interested we will be in interviewing you. At Mattson, food is not just our business; it’s our life. We also like to have fun. It’s food, after all!
- B.S. or M.S in Food Science or related discipline
- 5+ years of food or beverage product development with commercialization experience; prefer demonstrated experience across multiple technologies and product types
- Must be a person of high integrity and commitment and possess a strong work ethic
- Ability to maintain positive work atmosphere by communicating effectively with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong documentation, organization and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills
Experience That Will Set You Apart
- Culinary degree
- Food service restaurant operation experience
- Restaurant menu development experience